Get a nice COVER or POSTCARD from PORTUGAL....


2 EUROS
per COVER or POSTCARD


I can send you a nice surprise cover or postcard to your home address.

You can pay by paypal or cash in an envelope.

If interested just email me at

stamp.friends@gmail.com

Saturday, April 11, 2009

International Year of Astronomy 2009


"The International Year of Astronomy 2009 is a global effort initiated by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and UNESCO to help the citizens of the world rediscover their place in the Universe through the day- and night-time sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery.

There will be a variety of philatelic materials generated to commemorate IYA2009 specifically or feature astronomy as a theme or topic, in general." You can read more here.


Korea was the 1st country to issue stamps commemorating the year of astronomy. Here you can see the Planetary Nebula NGC 3132 which looks like a planet but is actually composed of clouds of gases and dust created by the explosion of a star’s unstable outer layer; and the Whirlpool Galaxy M51 composed of hundreds of billions of stars and interstellar matter.

Date of issue : January 15, 2009

Quantity : 850 000 stamps each

Denomination: 250won

Size of stamp: 40mm x 30mm

Perforation : 13

Paper: White unwatermarked

Designer : Jiwon MO

5 comments:

The Tropical Blogger said...

:(

I gotta have these. I love everything to do with astronomy.

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Hello!

How have you been?

I've bought mine on ebay! You can try it!

I'm collecting all the IYA2009 sets.... will your country issue any?

Kisses

Master said...

Hi Jose!
Thanks for adding mine to yours.
I have also added your blog to my favorite list.
See at http://mycoolcovercollection.blogspot.com/
Best Regards
Yours Cheema

michaelatcddstamps said...

Hello everyone.. yes a popular topic.. I started writing on my blog http://cddstamps.blogspot.com/ on IYA some weeks back with the idea of doing a country a day or so running through the alphbet A to Z

Am at K at the moment and also showed this beautiful Korean issue.

Happy to add links to otherstamp blogs on my internet site where I have set up a special page for blogs (mostly)

Good to see this blog doing well and apology for not writing in past months...

Best wishes ...Michael

lefung said...

If have any items for these:
08.05.2009 Portugal - 1 stamp (0.68 €) & oune souvenir sheet
08.05.2009 Azores - 1 stamp (0.68 €) & one souvenir sheet
08.05.2009 Madeira - 1 stamp (0.68 €) & one souvenir sheet
Please let me know. I still reserve the Angkasawan stamp sheet for you.
Thanks

Regards,
Siew Lan